The most popular jalapeno Poppers are transformed into a grilled cheese. Waffle maker made! Easy and no mess!
- Four jalapenos, cut in half lengthwise
- Eight slices of bacon
- Eight pieces of whole-wheat bread
- Softened cream cheese, four tablespoons
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Place the jalapenos on the baking sheet with their cut side facing up. Place in oven and roast until skin is blackened (about 6-8 minutes). Let the skin cool down before removing it from the oven.
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook for 6-8 minutes until crispy and brown. Transfer the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Preheat a waffle maker to medium heat. Waffle irons can be lightly oiled on the top and bottom or coated with nonstick spray.
- Spread cream cheese with a butter knife on the one side of every slice of bread. Place the pieces in the waffle maker, cream-side up. Work in batches. Add cheese, jalapenos, and bacon. Top with remaining bread slices. Close gently and cook for 3-4 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve immediately