A smoky corn salad with cherry tomatoes, basil, and avocado in a vinaigrette dressing – perfect for an outdoor picnic this summer!
In April 2011, when I started blogging, I didn’t know what I was doing. I had no clue about photography, writing, or even cooking. I was thrown into the deep end of the pool with no floater. In order to find a direction in the blogging and cooking worlds, I searched through an endless number of food blogs. That’s how I came across Lori’s RecipeGirl blog.
RecipeGirl has at least 2500 original recipes and adaptations. It quickly became one of my favorite blogs. I’ve tried a lot of her recipes, from Bacon fat chicken Alfredo to Irish Soda bread Muffins and her Better than Starbucks Pumpkin Scones. Her recipes never fail me!
In the last couple of years, I have gotten to learn more and more about Lori. I had the chance to meet her at the Traveling Potluck. Imagine my excitement when I found out that we were seated next to each other at dinner. Lori is a celebrity in the world of food blogging! When she asked me if I would like to review her book a few weeks ago, I almost fainted.
As soon as I received Lori’s book, I fell in love. After reading through her book, I bookmarked 99.9%. The ease of all her recipes is great because I don’t always have time to spend 1-2 hours cooking a meal after a long day at work. Lori includes recipes that have been a favorite on the web and are vegetarian, gluten-free, or dairy-free. This makes it easy for people with dietary restrictions. The “change it” options are also incredibly helpful and convenient substitutions.
After hours of trying and failing to decide which of her recipes I wanted to use on my blog, I couldn’t resist making her grilled corn salad. This dish is perfect for the 90+ degree weather we’ve been having in LA. You can enjoy summer in a container with some fresh, simple ingredients such as cherry tomatoes, avocado, and grilled corn that is smoky, juicy, and tender. This is a great dish to take on a picnic or to eat at home with your AC blasting. It’s too hot to go on a picnic at the moment.
- Five ears of corn, washed and shucked
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- Avocado, half, peeled, seeded and diced
- Fresh basil leaves, chopped to a 1/2 cup
- Red onion, 1/4 cup diced
- To taste, add Kosher Salt and freshly ground Pepper
For the VINAIGRETTE
- Olive oil three tablespoons
- Apple cider vinegar three tablespoons
- Freshly squeezed Lemon Juice 1 Tablespoon
- To taste, add Kosher Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper
- In a small dish, whisk together the olive oil, apple vinegar, lemon, and salt according to your taste. Set aside.
- Soak corn in a large bowl with water for 30 minutes. Drain well.
- Preheat the grill to medium heat. Grill corn until grill marks are visible, approximately 3-4 minutes per side. Let cool before cutting kernels from the cobs.
- Combine corn, tomatoes, and avocado in a large bowl. Add salt, pepper, basil, and red onion to taste. Mix in vinaigrette and gently toss together. CampaignIcon
- Serve immediately