The Wild Rice Soup in Different Variations
I thought it would be useful to give a brief recap of the wild rice soup experience in my life.
My mom’s wild rice soup. Minnesota is where I grew up and still live. My childhood was filled with wild rice soup. Every year, my mom makes it for Christmas Eve dinner. The soup is simmering and has been simmering for hours. It is dark at 5 pm, the trees are covered in snow, and the house is filled with the aroma of bacon and wild rice soup. There is nothing better. No electric appliances. There is nothing plugged in. This is a pure version. If you’re wondering, the recipe is from our church’s cookbook. Here’s how to do it. God bless Minnesota and my mom for the wild rice soup I grew up on.
Crockpot Chicken Wild Rice Soup_:I then felt the need to make this soup regularly. I wanted it to be easier to make than the Christmas version. It’s crockpot-level easy. It was a hit recipe on Pinch of Yum. This is one of my favorite recipes. This is a big deal since I make new recipes all the time. This recipe is perfect for a last-minute dinner or to bring a meal over to a friend. Now this
Instant pot wild rice soup (with mushrooms, oh my god): This is today. This is yet another version of the wild rice soup I love. This time, I added mushrooms, and I used the Instant Pot. I know you hate me. You don’t hate me because this will blow you away. This soup was delicious, and I credit the mushrooms for that. Preparation and cooking are SOS easy. Think about all the wild rice soups I’ve eaten in my life. This is the way it’s done. This is a delicious, earthy wild rice soup for the middle of winter.
Make this Wild Rice Soup
It’s a dump-and-cook situation. This is a mostly hands-off recipe (apart from a small step at the very end to achieve that creamy texture). It’s a weeknight recipe that can be frozen. Let’s go!
You have several options.
- The Best Taste Option (this is the way it is written): Start by sautéing onions and mushrooms. Add wild rice to the pot and let it cook for a few minutes. This will create a base for your soup. Just before serving, add the veggies so that they do not become mushy. Finish with heavy cream, some more broth, Sherry, and umami seasoning. OOF. So good.
- Add everything to the Instant Pot. To make it creamier, add heavy cream. The end.
- No Heavy-Cream Option Start with the same as above, but use a flour, Butter, and milk mixture instead of heavy cream. This is the way I have always made it, but I find that the heavier cream version is better. The flavor is richer and more developed.
What to serve with this soup
Wild rice soup is not complete without some additional ingredients.
You should make a loaf of No-Knead Bread if it’s a Sunday Soup Day.
It’s Christmas. (Who else makes wild rice soup at Christmas but my family?) You better bring a fancy side salad to complete the meal. I know exactly zero people. Can I recommend my Bacon Sprouts Salad from years ago? It’s never old. Or, my family’s newest favorite: a simple green salad.
Adding Other Proteins / Making Swaps
Additions of protein to your diet:
- I’ve got a recipe right here for shredded or cubed poultry.
- Bacon crumbles
- Cubed Ham
- Throw in a whole hambone
Mushrooms: A Brief History
Can I suggest that you try it? You can get a lot of flavor from the mushrooms without having to worry about the texture. I think you will fall in love with me.
What about my friends already in Team Mushroom? A) Congratulations! B) Get. AFTER. IT. This recipe is my favorite wild rice soup. Warm, creamy mushrooms with wild rice and a cold-weather climate for an eternal win.
Soup base in the Instant Pot –
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- Half of a The following are some examples of the use of onion
- 8 Ounces Fresh mushrooms Thinly sliced
- 1 Uncooked Wild rice (see notes)
- Four vegetable or chicken broth
- One teaspoon Salt
- Half a teaspoon Rubbed SAGE
- Half a teaspoon The following are some examples of the use of Thyme
- 3 Cloves You can also find out more about the following: minced
- 5 Medium Carrots
- 3 The stalk is a type of plant. Celery
How to make a creamy base on the stovetop:
- Six tablespoons Butter
- 1 1/2 milk I used 2%)
- OR, replace all the above with 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream
- One teaspoon of umami mushroom seasoning
- 1 – 2 The following are the ingredients of tablespoons Sherry. It may seem forgettable, but it has a big impact.
Instant Pot base soup: Melt the Butter in the pot and sauté the mushrooms and onions until they are soft. Add the wild rice, broth, salt, and spices. Cook on high pressure for about 35 minutes. Add celery, carrots, and garlic to the pot, then cook at high pressure for ten more minutes. Use the top valve to release steam.
Make the soup creamy: There are two ways to make it creamy. A) You can add 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream (plus as much broth as you need), and it’s done. The soup is a little thinner and more brothy, but the flavor is richer thanks to the cream. If you don’t want to use heavy cream, you can thicken your soup by using a mixture of flour, Butter, and milk. Melt the Butter first. Incorporate the flour. Allow the mixture to cook for about a minute or until the floury flavor is gone. Whip the milk a little at a time until you get a smooth and thickened sauce. Add a pinch of salt to the sauce for good measure.
Mix the creamy sauce and the soup in the instant pot. Voila! Mushroom wild rice soup. It will be thick, especially if you use the flour-buttermilk method. Use broth to thin to the desired consistency.