Does summer even exist without a skewer? We don’t think so. When grilled, these teriyaki skewers develop a slightly crusty outside and a perfectly smokey flavor. This recipe is a sure winner!
These skewers are great with a cold sesame noodles salad or stir fry to make a plant-based meal that is packed full of protein! These tofu skewers are made with just nine ingredients. We’ll show you exactly how to make it!
How to make Grilled Teriyaki Tofu skewers
To begin this part of the tofu, we marinate cubes in a sauce inspired by teriyaki, made from tamari, coconut sugar, rice vinegar, and toasted sesame seed oil. The result is delicious cubes of tofu.
A portion of the flavorful marinade is whisked with arrowroot and water in a pan to create a thick glaze that you brush on after. You can tell that we love tofu with a lot of flavor.
The next step is to layer the marinated tofu on skewers, adding red onions to add sweetness and help keep the tofu in position.
It’s time to grill! You can grill on your stovetop if you don’t own an outdoor BBQ or grill.
Grill the skewers for a few seconds on each side. Grill marks should appear all around. Then, drizzle the teriyaki sauce over the tofu and enjoy!
- Use 1/3 cup of soy sauce (or tamari) to ensure gluten-free.
- Coconut sugar, 1/4 cup (or brown sugar)
- Garlic powder 1/4 tsp
- 1 1/2 tsp rice vinegar
- 3/4 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp arrowroot powder
- 1 (14-oz.) Tofu extra-firm cubed into 1-inch cubes
- Half a medium red onion cut into 1-inch pieces
- Avocado oil (for greasing grill)
Optional FOR SERVING
- Sesame seeds
- Green onion thinly sliced
- Whisk together the soy sauce, tamari or coconut sugar, rice vinegar, and sesame oils in a shallow, wide bowl. Reserve about 1/3 of marinade (21/2 Tbsp if you are making the default amount of servings).
- Add the tofu cubes to the dish, then stir or cover the plate with a lid, shaking it to substitute the tofu. Cover the dish and allow it to sit at room temp for 30 minutes.
- Whip together the arrowroot with a splash of water in a small pan, and then add the marinade you have reserved. Stirring frequently, bring to a simmer, and cook for about 2 minutes. Add a bit of water to thin if it becomes too thick. If the mixture is too light, add more arrowroot and water to it, then cook until thickened.
- After the tofu is finished marinating for a few hours, lightly oil either a Grill pan (or grill grates) and heat to medium-high. Thread the cubed red onion and tofu onto skewers. Alternately, place one red onion between each cube of tofu and finish with another piece of red onion. Each skewer should contain eight cubes of tofu.
- Next, grill! Next, grill!
- Refrigerate leftover grilled tofu for up to 2 days.